- La asombrosas fotos de Marte tomadas por Curiosity
- Mantienen congeladas cuentas bancarias de Rafa Márquez
- Lamenta KOF ausencia de estado de derecho en Tierra Caliente
- Multarán al PRI y MC por vender datos de 90 millones de mexicanos
- Ejército asegura que mató al hombre más buscado de México
- 4 muertos en ataque en Francia que se adjudica Estado Islámico
200 mobsters arrested in Italy and Germany
ROME (Reuters).- Some 200 members of one of Italy’s most infamous mafia groups were arrested in an operation in Italy and Germany, police said on Tuesday.
A statement from the para-military Carabinieri police said the operation had dismantled a major clan of the ‘Ndrangheta organized crime group, which is based in the southern Calabria region.
Police said the operation was carried out jointly with police in Germany.
They said the clans of the Farao and Marincola families had infiltrated businesses in both countries, particularly those involved in wine, food, garbage collection and funeral services.
A number of public officials were suspected of corruption, the statement said, without specifying if they were in Italy or both countries.
Some 50 million euros ($59.79 million) in assets were seized.
Details of the operation were due to be released at a news conference later on Tuesday in the southern city of Catanzaro, where anti-mafia prosecutors had spearheaded the investigation.